Grandpa, you say, I am the hardest of the hardcore when it comes to retro games. I want a no compromises system that has everything you could throw at it, even systems and games I didn’t know I cared about. Well, as always, your Grandpa is here for you. Say hello to the Great Grandpa, formerly the Ultra Box. You get every system and game from the Grandpa! You get every system and game from the Japanese Box! Plus much much more! Systems you have been asking for for years, like the Atari 5200. Systems you haven’t been asking for, but I gave you anyway, like the Virtual Boy, and the Neo Geo Pocket. Even the beginning of the modern age with systems like the original PlayStation, Dreamcast and PSP. (Sorry, still no PS2 or Game Cube. Not possible on the current version of the Raspberry Pi. Maybe some day). Truly, the greatest value in retro gaming!
Every system comes with:
- Raspberry Pi 4 computer, case and Power supply
- 2 TB SSD hard drive running the Retropie software
- Fully configured system, ready to play.
- Over 16000 games, from 40 different platforms
- Superior User Interface.
- View artwork, description, and other data for each game.
- Included HDMI cable
- Two wired XBox style controllers. Wireless available for a small upcharge.
- Detailed instruction manual, with links to online sources
- 90 day product replacement guarantee.
- Access to email support with any questions or concerns.
The following systems are installed on the Great Grandpa:
- ~ Arcade — 1726 games
- ~ Atari 2600 — 364 games
- ~ Atari 5200 — 95 games
- ~ Atari 7800 — 60 games
- ~ Atari Lynx — 79 games
- ~ Colecovision — 209 games
- ~ Daphne (Laserdisc games) — 13 games
- ~ Dreamcast — 242 games
- ~ Famicom — 1069 games
- ~ Famicom Disk System — 194 games
- ~ Game Gear — 251 games
- ~ Game Boy — 615 games
- ~ Game Boy Japanese — 752 games
- ~ Game Boy Advance — 386 games
- ~ Game Boy Advance Japanese — 797
- ~ Game Boy Color — 460 games
- ~ Game Boy Color Japanese — 491 games
- ~ Intellivision — 146 games
- ~ NES — 792 games
- ~ Nintendo 64 — 239 games (limited support, see below)
- ~ Neo Geo Pocket — 9 games
- ~ Neo Geo Pocket Color — 77 games
- ~ PC Engine — 294 games
- ~ PC Engine CD — 285 games
- ~ PSP — 630 games
- ~ PlayStation — 1530 games
- ~ Sega Genesis — 781 games
- ~ Sega Master System — 289 games
- ~ Sega Megadrive — 480 games
- ~ Sega Mega CD — 118 games
- ~ Sega CD — 140 games
- ~ Sega 32X — 34 games
- ~ Sega SG-1000 — 68 games
- ~ SNES — 727 games
- ~ Super Famicom — 1428 games
- ~ TurboGrafx16 — 252 games
- ~ TurboGrafx-16 CD — 46 games
- ~ Vectrex — 33 games
- ~Magnavox Odyssey 2 — 98 games
- ~ Virtual Boy — 22 games
*The N64 is a very difficult system to emulate. While most of the games play acceptably, some have slowdowns, choppy audio, or other issues. For a breakdown of which N64 work well and which have issues, click here
**OK, I cheated a little in getting to my calculation of 40 systems and 16,000 games. I counted Japanese versions of things like Game Boy as separate systems from their US counterparts. Also, there is going to be some degree of duplication here, as a lot of Japanese games are indistinguishable from the US versions. It was simply not feasible to compare every US game with it’s Japanese counterpart to eliminate duplicates.
Great Grandpa Retro Box
You spoke, and Grandpa Gaming listened. You wanted a retro box with no compromises, and we present the Great Grandpa. Everything that is on the Grandpa AND the Japanese Boxes, along with a ton of additional systems for a total of over 16,000 games from 40 different platforms. In the box is a 2 TB hard drive, no SD cards here. Everything you could possibly want in a retro gaming system, at a price that can’t be beat. Enjoy!
For a list of every game on the Great Grandpa, click here